old and new

A lot of my art is about how old and new process are used. I use some digital imaging and linocut printing to create my art. Here is a step by step of my first print in the lucky ducky  quiet book.

The idea came from this last summer in Montana, where my family adopted a new dog. The first dog ever to grace our lives, we are “cat” people.

I started this project because I had some linoleum that I wanted to try printing with so after a practice round of reversing and printing the letters backwards, I was ready to go. I had some photos from the summer, and I wanted to simplify them so they would translate well on a relief cut print. I started with, see image 1 the original photo and ran it through Photoshop’s threshold filter, and tried several others but couldn’t get it to look right. I need high contrast with no shading or gray-scale, so the image have enough detail on a linocut print. I ran the image through alot of filters in illustrator and came to ‘photocopy’ with the detail and contrast turned to the highest amount. This is how, see image 2. was created. Then I imported the image back in to Photoshop, and sized it to the print sized I needed. See image 3. Also there was more details in the picture than I wanted and it needed more light and dark areas. So I created a solid dark area above the dog’s head. See image 4. Next the image was ready to be printed and transferred to a linocut block. I flipped the image in Photoshop and printed the image out on a printer. Then I covered the back of the paper with charcoal to transfer the image on to the linocut. Traced the image on to the linocut. Then I started carving the image out of the linoleum. See image 5. When I was finished carving, I took it to the press, inked it up with lithography brown ink and ran it through the press. I made the test prints on paper and then used the the cloth squares. See image 6. The cloth squares are quilting squares that I saw at the store and wondered what it would look like if I printed on them. This is the process that I went through to get the first image.¬† I have followed the same procedure, with the rest of the images, to get a consistent looking set of prints, for the book I am creating.